PILION BY LOCAL TRAIN
|SHORE EXCURSION:||Mount Pelion by local train|
|TOUR AT A GLANCE|
|You will see||Traditional Pelion villages and nice landscape|
|Shopping||short time for souvenir shopping in the villages|
Relax in the comfort of your air-conditioned coach for a short transfer to the pretty village of Ano Lehonia.
As the whistle blows, it’s ‘all aboard’ the famous narrow-gauge "moutzouris - smudgy" steam train for an unforgettable experience. Steeped in history, the steam train first started transporting passengers and goods in 1895, but was closed in 1971, as it was deemed too expensive to operate. Only recently, has the train been put back in operation to showcase the spectacular sights and scenery of the region.
Make sure you have your camera ready, as you climb the mountain tracks and journey along a dreamlike route, passing through olive groves and many of the traditional Pelion villages, a truly unique experience. During your journey, you’ll travel across several magnificent bridges, including a five-arched bridge and a sturdy iron bridge, which is unique in Europe.
Upon arrival Milies, join your knowledgeable guide for a short walking tour of this picturesque village, exploring its cobble streets, lined with traditional stone houses.
- This excursion will operate by coach and steam train.
- Note that all minors (those under 18) must be accompanied by an adult on shore excursions.
- The journey on the train is approximately 1 ½ hours and there are no toilet facilities onboard.
- There is approximately, 30 minutes of walking involved, over some uneven and cobbled terrain.
- To board the train there are approximately 3 steep steps.
- Non slippery comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Rest room facilities in the villages.