|SHORE EXCURSION:||Mycenae and Epidaurus Theater|
|TOUR AT A GLANCE|
|Duration||4 1/2 hours|
|You will visit||Mycenae, Epidaurus Theater|
|You will see||Nafplion town|
|Shopping||time for souvenir shopping in Nafplion|
Through the plain of Argos the drive will take you to Mycenae, an acropolis set upon a small hilltop, that has given its name to a whole civilization (1400-1200 BC). Mycenae was the royal set of the ill-fated House of Atreus. It was from Mycenae, that Agamemnon, "King of men", went off as leader of the Achaean expedition to war against Troy. The Lion Gate, the Royal Palace, the shaft graves and the fortification walls, are some of the wonders that can be seen here thanks to the archaeological investigations. Schliemann was first to excavate Mycenae in 1876. He uncovered the famous grave circle of royal tombs and brought to light gold death-masks, jewelry, golden diadems and dress ornaments, which can be seen today in the Athens Archaeological Museum.
Half an hour drive through vineyards and olive groves will take you to Epidaurus, the sanctuary of Asklepios the god of medicine. On a hillside, within the sanctuary lies the Theater of Epidaurus, the most famous and well preserved of all ancient theaters in Greece. The acoustics here are so perfect that the slightest whisper or rustle of paper from the orchestra can be heard from any of its 14,000 seats. The theater is the most important building left on the site and undoubtedly the most beautiful of all theaters. Epidaurus and the whole feeling of the place is of health and freshness.
- This excursion will operate by coach and on foot.
- Note that all minors (those under 18) must be accompanied by an adult on shore excursions.
- The tour of both archaeological sites are on foot therefore passengers with physical limitations should take this into consideration when booking.
- Visit to the site at Mycenae involves climbing, strenuous walk and period of standing.
- Walking along uneven slippery pathways uphill – comfortable non-slip shoes are recommended.
- The non flash cameras and videos are allowed.
- Rest room facilities at the sites.