|SHORE EXCURSION:||Cape Sounion|
|TOUR AT A GLANCE|
|You will visit||Cape Sounion|
|You will see||Saronic Gulf and Athens suburbs|
Following the inland route at the beginning, then back onto the same coastal road you will arrive back to pier late in the afternoon.
Leaving Piraeus pier you will follow the pleasant coastal road along the shores of the Saronic Gulf. The road will lead to Glyfada, a charming summer suburb, and a bit further on to Voula and Kavouri, where pine trees grow down to the sea. The Attic landscape becomes even more appealing in Vouliagmeni, one of the best summer resorts in Greece.
Our arrival at Sounion, a natural headland that juts out majestically into the Aegean Sea, is scheduled after an hour drive time. One has to see Sounion in order to understand why the ancient Athenians dedicated this "Sacred Cape", as they called it, to the Sea God Poseidon. Here still stands the 5th century BC white marble temple where one can see the 15 of the original 34 Doric columns. In the 19th century Lord Byron in testament of this visit to the Temple, carved his name on one of its columns.
An impressive sight on the summit of the peninsula.
- This excursion will operate by coach and on foot.
- Note that all minors (those under 18) must be accompanied by an adult on shore excursions.
- Moderate amount of walking at the archaeological site
- Recommended for persons with physical limitations – comfortable non-slip shoes are recommended.
- Rest room facilities at the site.